1. Determining Your Ad Objective
- What is it that your ad needs to accomplish? Is it driving Sales? Building brand awareness? Do you want to advertise a special promotion or limited time offer? Are you looking to offer your pre-existing customers new offers or incentives so they can make future purchases?
- Pinpointing your Ad Objective and creating a CALL TO ACTION is the first step towards building a successful ad campaign.
- A CALL TO ACTION is the button or link that will be presented to the customer. Examples of this include, “Shop Now”, “Buy Now”, “Learn More”, “VISIT A STORE TODAY”, or even just, “CLICK HERE”.
- Now that you have your ad objective or CTA (Call to Action). The next step is selecting the right visual support that will provide your ad objective with the best opportunity for success.
- Will your ad be a video? A photo? A carousel?
- You’ll want to select images that are the most relevant to your ad and that will capture your specific audiences attention.
- High quality images are recommended but not necessarily always best. It’s important to know your audience and what they will respond to/expect to see from your brand.
3. Choosing Where to Advertise
- Where you choose to advertise depends entirely on you. There are endless places and ways to advertise online. But the 4 majors are a good starting point:
- Google Adwords
4. Building Your Ad
- Once you know where to advertise and you have a clear ‘Call To Action’ along with strong visual support, the next step is building your ad campaign.
- The set-up process that is required to run an ad on Facebook is different than it is for running an ad on Google. Each network has its own set of rules and guidelines.
- The basic tenants for building an ad, however, remain relatively consistent, they are as follows:
- Geography – The specific geographic regions where you will be running your ad.
- Audience – Who are you targeting? What are their behaviors, interests, demographics, age, gender etc. This is a crucial step in building your ad. If your audience is built incorrectly then even the best advertisement in the world will not succeed. Imagine selling umbrellas to a place where it only rains once a year. That is an extreme example of how building a bad audience can cost you money.
- Budget – How much are you going to spend on your ad campaign?
- Ad Requirements – as previously mentioned each advertising platform has its own set of rules. For example, Instagram and Twitter require that the image in your ad must have no more than 20% text. If your ad has more then 20% it will not be approved. Adhering to the guidelines for each advertising network is mandatory.
- Ad Cycle – The timeline for your ad. 1 week or 1 month? You decide a start date and a stop date for your ad.
5. Analytics & Tracking
- One of the most amazing things about advertising online is being able to use analytics to track and monitor your campaign.
- Google analytics is an incredible tool that gives you access to a remarkable amount of data.
- Your Google Analytics Tracking Code can be installed right into your website. It can track users across multiple devices and monitor every step of the sales funnel.
- Optimization and measurement has never been more accessible.
- The Facebook pixel is another tracking tool that allows you to watch as people go directly from your Facebook or Instagram ads directly to your website to make a purchase.
6. A/B Testing
- A/B testing is an effective strategy to find out which types of advertisements work best for your business.
- How it Works – You run two ads simultaneously, one is ad “A” and the other is ad “B”. The ads are different from one another in terms of appearance. Then after a certain period of time you compare the results to see which one performed better.
- The goal is to find the design elements that work best for your audience and to achieve the highest level of engagements/ conversions.
- This kind of comparative testing is a great way to maximize your future ads results and increase ROI.
Now that we have highlighted all of the necessary steps to run an effective online advertising campaign. We hope that you will use this guideline and get started. Advertising online is great way to drive sales to your website. As you can see there are a number of steps that need to be followed in order to do it successfully. But our goal here was to highlight the most important steps that you need, without getting bogged down by too many details. Thanks for reading and Good Luck!
***identityUp is an online advertising agency that specializes in driving traffic organically to social media platforms. If you need help setting up a paid advertising campaign for your business contact us at (424) 281-0416 or visit our website at www.identityup.com to get started.
Written by Hunter Gebron